Is removing acne scars possible?
Scars from acne can often seem like a double punishment, you dealt with the pimples and now you are left with a reminder. However, it does not have to permanent. We can treat acne scars.
We treat the scars with a combination of microneedling and light therapy treatment. We can treat new scars, and even older scars because microneedling creates an inflammatory reaction which then increases your collagen production which normally improves the appearance of the scarring.
The number of treatments depends on the severity of acne scarring but on average it requires 4/6 treatments. Most serious scarring is caused by the more severe forms of acne, with nodules more likely to leave permanent scars than other types of acne
· mild acne: whiteheads or blackheads which most of us have suffered from at some point
· moderate acne: red and inflamed pimples (called papules) and red pimples with white centers (called pustules)
· severe acne: pus-filled cysts or lumps (called nodules) under the skin
A complication of acne is acne scarring. There are three types of acne scars:
· ice pick scars – small, deep holes in the surface of your skin that look like the skin has been punctured with a sharp object
· rolling scars – caused by bands of scar tissue that form under the skin, giving the surface of the skin a rolling and uneven appearance
· boxcar scars – round or oval depressions, or craters, in the skin
If you are thinking about getting treatment for your acne scars, then give us a call and Mina (a registered surgical nurse) can talk through your treatment plan.